Scotland’s oldest working brewery, Belhaven, has been named the official beer sponsor of the New York Tartan Day Parade and its related events, running from April 2nd – 10th, 2016. The New York Tartan Day Parade, a celebration of Scottish heritage and pride, takes place up Sixth Avenue, from 44th to 55th Street, on Saturday, April 9th.
Beers from Scotland’s oldest brewery will be available at many neighborhood bars with special tasting events lined up at selected venues throughout the week. Representatives from Belhaven Brewery will also be walking in the parade which is a highlight of over a week of events throughout New York City. The Parade is the biggest celebration of National Tartan Day in the United States which is celebrated annually on April 6th and officially honors Scots and Scottish Americans.
The Tartan Day Parade and events of the week are overseen by the National Tartan Day New York Committee. The organization is a registered charity, comprised of the St. Andrews Society of the State of New York, New York Caledonian Club, American-Scottish Foundation, and Clan Campbell, all of which look to strengthen ties between Scotland and the USA.
Gordon Muir, brand manager for Belhaven said, “As the home of Scottish brewing, we are proud to be sponsoring the Tartan Day Parade for the second year running. We had a fantastic response last year and are planning even bigger and better things for 2016.”
“We have a large following of loyal Belhaven fans in America and it means a lot to us to be playing a part in such a renowned event that celebrates our shared culture. We are huge supporters of the parade and of the organizers who work tirelessly to promote our country’s wonderful heritage on the American side of the pond.”
“It is a thrill to lend our name to such a historic event in one of the greatest cities on earth and we are sure that New Yorkers will enjoy the beers we will send them all the way from Dunbar!”
“Belhaven has long been a great friend and supporter of the Parade, and I am delighted that this year they will once again be the ‘Official Beer of the Tartan Day Parade,’ noted Alan L. Bain, President of the National Tartan Day New York Committee.
For further information regarding the New York Tartan Day Parade, please visit nyctartanweek.org.
For further information regarding Belhaven, please contact Sonia Lawrence at SoniaLawrence@greeneking.co.uk
Footnotes to the Editors:
Belhaven was founded in 1719 in Dunbar, East Lothian, around 20 miles along the coast from Edinburgh. It is Scotland’s oldest working brewery.
– Although some of the brewery buildings are listed with Scottish Heritage, Belhaven is a place of contrasts and features a state-of-the-art modern brewhouse, opened in 2013 by HRH Princess Anne.
– With this brewhouse, the brewers at Belhaven are able to brew specialty beers in a wide range of styles, from a crisp continental-style Pilsner to a dense, sticky Oat Stout.
– Every Belhaven beer is brewed with 100% Scottish barley malt; pure water from the ancient well beneath the brewery; the brewery’s own registered strain of yeast; and the choicest hops from around the world.
– Belhaven’s range of beers available in the USA includes:
- Twisted Thistle IPA, a bold and juicy all-malt IPA with a bright grapefruit-zest aroma and a refreshingly bitter bite
- Scottish Ale, a classic malty nut-brown ale with a biscuity aroma and smooth, rich flavour
- Belhaven Black, a deep and distinctive Scottish stout with dark chocolate and coffee notes
- Kilted Pilsner, a clean, crisp and refreshing pale lager beer brewed using classic continental brewing process and Scottish ingredients
- Wee Heavy, a strong, sweet, rich and fruity ale. Christmas cake in a glass!
- Scottish Oat Stout, a dense and treacley stout with a profound depth of flavour and a silky smooth mouth feel
– Belhaven beers are imported into the USA by St. Killian Importing Company