What is Tartan Day, the New York Tartan Day Parade, and Tartan Week?
- April 6th has been designated as National Tartan Day, a day for celebrating Scottish heritage and pride.
- The New York Tartan Day Parade is usually held the Saturday nearest Tartan Day. The 2017 18th Annual New York Tartan Day Parade will be held on April 8th.
- The Parade and leading events of the week are run by the National Tartan Day New York Committee, a not-for-profit 501(c)3 coalition, and its member societies: the St. Andrew’s Society of the State of New York, the New York Caledonian Club, The American-Scottish Foundation and Clan Campbell.
- The days before and after the Parade are called “Tartan Week” and are filled with a full range of Scottish-themed events.
- Every year is different but if you’re coming for a long week, we ideally suggest Friday, March 31st, through Monday, April 10th.
- Coming for a few days? We recommend arriving early Wednesday, April 5th, through late Sunday, April 9th.
- International travelers, especially those marching in the Parade, we HIGHLY recommend arriving no later than Thursday, April 6th!
Participating in the Tartan Day Parade
- The Parade is filled with bagpipe bands, other marching bands, Scottish organizations, societies, clans, families/friends, Scottish & West Highland White terriers and more!
- To march in the Parade you will need to register. Registration will open in mid-July.
Ways to Support the Parade
Organizing Tartan Week and the Parade is a massive effort by hundreds of volunteers. Your support enables us to continue! Every year we have an official shirt and pin. If you missed them, visit our online vendor, Scotland Rising.
This year, we launched the Tartan Week Passport, a very popular booklet of discounts and coupons. Look for upcoming info on 2017’s benefits.
We offer many opportunities for sponsors and advertising. Contact us to learn more.
For more information, and to keep up-to-date, we invite you to “like” us on Facebook and “follow” our Twitter pages.
Become a friend of the parade today!
My name is Kyle Dawson and I am the new President of the National Tartan Day New York Committee. I’d like to start by thanking everyone who made all of the New York Tartan Day Parades such a huge success. Most especially, thank you to all the previous Presidents; I am proud to be added to their ranks. Also, thanks to all the Parade volunteers, without whom the Parade would not take place. In 2016, we had more people marching and more people cheering us from the sidewalks than ever before. And having Sam “Jamie Fraser” Heughan of “Outlander” fame as 2016’s Grand Marshal certainly didn’t hurt!
2017 is going to be a great year for the National Tartan Day New York Committee. Each year we strive to be bigger, better, and have more fun. We are working on several new additions to a week full of events and I am sure you will all like what we have planned. With the help of all of you, how can we miss?
As usual, keep an eye out here, on our website, on our Facebook page, and our Twitter feed for all the most up to date information regarding Tartan Week 2017. Our Parade registration will open up soon. I’m looking forward to seeing you all at the 2017 New York Tartan Day Parade on April 8th – mark it in your calendars!