Winners of the Barbour Tartan Dog Pack Coat Competition
Designed, Set, and Printed by NY Print Partners.
What is Tartan Day, the New York Tartan Day Parade, and Tartan Week?
- April 6th has been designated as National Tartan Day, a day for celebrating Scottish heritage and pride.
- The New York Tartan Day Parade is usually held the Saturday nearest Tartan Day. The 2018 20th Annual New York Tartan Day Parade will be held on April 7th.
- The Parade and leading events of the week are run by the National Tartan Day New York Committee, a not-for-profit 501(c)3 coalition, and its member societies: the St. Andrew’s Society of the State of New York, the New York Caledonian Club, The American-Scottish Foundation, Clan Campbell and Carnegie Hall.
- The days before and after the Parade are called “Tartan Week” and are filled with a full range of Scottish-themed events.
- Every year is different but if you’re coming for a long week, we ideally suggest Tuesday, April 3rd, through Monday, April 9th.
- Coming for a few days? We recommend arriving early Wednesday, April 4th, through late Sunday, April 8th.
- International travelers, especially those marching in the Parade, we HIGHLY recommend arriving no later than Thursday, April 5th!
The Parade was presented by lead Platinum sponsor Barbour. Together with renowned Scottish actor Tommy Flanagan, Grand Marshal of the 2017 Parade, they led 35 pipe bands and over 3,000 marchers up Sixth Avenue on one of the first Spring days we enjoyed.
To the sound of the pipes, dancers, clans, organizations - and the Barbour Tartan Dog Pack of scotties and westies - marchers were greeted by the crowds lining Sixth Avenue.
The Parade is organized by the National New York Tartan Day Parade Committee which comprises St. Andrews Society of the State of New York, New York Caledonian Club, American-Scottish Foundation, Clan Campbell, and recent member Carnegie Hall.
We are grateful for the tremendous support of our Sponsors:
- Platinum Returning Sponsor: Barbour
- Gold Sponsors: Carnegie Hall, Belhaven - Official Beer of the Tartan Day Parade Events, VisitScotland, Glenlivet Founders Reserve - Official Whisky of the Tartan Day Parade Events, and Grayline
- Silver Sponsors: Stevens & Graham, Kensington Books, and Walkers Shortbread
The future was spotlighted by Scottish Universities taking part in the Parade this year - Scotland's Ambassadors of tomorrow. Amongst the Universities taking part are: Glasgow, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Stirling, Aberdeen, Strathclyde, Napier and Dundee Universities.
Three Scottish school pipe bands - Oban, Lathallan and St Columba, joined the parade and took part in various events of the week - hurry back. It is always great to welcome our young scottish pipers and friends to New York.
The parade is a joint effort of so many and the committee thank all that support us in so many ways for helping make the celebration happen. Thank you.
AND NOW IT IS TIME TO MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR THE CELEBRATION OF THE 20TH ANNUAL NY TARTAN DAY PARADE in 2018 - which will take place on Saturday April 7th.