Actor Tommy Flanagan to Be Grand Marshal of 19th Annual New York Tartan Day Parade on April 8th
"It is an honor to celebrate my culture," said Mr. Flanagan about his appointment to Grand Marshal. "I have great pride in my heritage. Although I now live in Malibu, I visit Scotland regularly with my family. I'll have my daughter flying her flag forever."
The parade steps off at 2:00 PM and marches up Sixth Avenue from 44th Street to 55th Street.
Bands, Pipers, Dancers and Clans from Scotland and throughout the United States and Canada are joining the Parade, along with dozens of Scottish and West Highland Terriers.
Read More About Tommy Flanagan
Happy National Tartan Day!
The National Tartan Day New York Committee wishes everyone a Happy Tartan Day, as we celebrate the contributions of Scots and Scottish-Americans to our city and country.
Please join us at 11:30am this Saturday, April 8th, for our Tartan Day Commemoration, before the start of Pipes & Drums at Bryant Park (6th Ave. and 42nd St., two blocks south of the parade start).
We are honored to receive a congratulatory letter from the Mayor of New York City, Bill de Blasio:
New York’s unmatched diversity is its greatest asset and our thriving Scottish American population has made invaluable contributions to every sector throughout the five boroughs. National Tartan Day and this weekend’s Tartan Parade exemplify the indelible imprint this vital community has made on our great city and recognizes the enduring bonds between New York and Scotland.Read More About Tartan Day in New York City
NYTD Passport, T Shirt and Pin – 3 in 1
NYTD is delighted to announce that the 2017 Official New York Tartan Day Parade Passport is available once again. This is a great way to help the parade and receive bonus offers.
You can purchase the Passport alone (extra copies for friends) OR with your Tartan Day Parade t-shirt and pin. Please use the order forms to the right to provide your contact information, t-shirt size, and passport option.
Option 1: Passport - $20
Option 2: Passport + T-Shirt + Pin - $45
To pick up your Parade Passport today, click here!
What is Tartan Day, the New York Tartan Day Parade, and Tartan Week?
- April 6th has been designated as National Tartan Day, a day for celebrating Scottish heritage and pride.
- The New York Tartan Day Parade is usually held the Saturday nearest Tartan Day. The 2017 18th Annual New York Tartan Day Parade will be held on April 8th.
- The Parade and leading events of the week are run by the National Tartan Day New York Committee, a not-for-profit 501(c)3 coalition, and its member societies: the St. Andrew’s Society of the State of New York, the New York Caledonian Club, The American-Scottish Foundation and Clan Campbell.
- The days before and after the Parade are called “Tartan Week” and are filled with a full range of Scottish-themed events.
- Every year is different but if you’re coming for a long week, we ideally suggest Friday, March 31st, through Monday, April 10th.
- Coming for a few days? We recommend arriving early Wednesday, April 5th, through late Sunday, April 9th.
- International travelers, especially those marching in the Parade, we HIGHLY recommend arriving no later than Thursday, April 6th!
The Line of March for the Parade is now posted and you can view and download it here. Thank you to everyone who put it together.
Please make a note of the section that your group is in, and the major groups fore and aft, and bring a copy (printed or digital) with you on Parade Day.
If you registered as an individual, we’ll email you with the names of groups that you can march with.
The Tartan Day Commemoration (postponed due to today’s storms) will be held Saturday morning starting at 11:15am, followed by the Pipes & Drums performances, at Bryant Park (6th Ave and 42nd St, 2 blocks south of the parade start).
And finally, check out our list of events for Friday into Sunday, and join us!
Our Post Parade Party is shaping up to be THE PARTY to go to. Held at the popular B B Kings in Times Square, Belhaven is back again, providing all the beer you could want. Glenlivet has signed on as an associate sponsor, providing Founder’s Reserve and a special signature cocktail developed especially for Tartan Week. We have lots of musical acts, including 2 bands from Scotland and 1 from Canada. And we have extended the party by 1 hour!!! Don’t miss out, get your tickets now!
Look for our Grand Marshal, Tommy Flanagan, famed tv/movie actor most recently in Sons of Anarchy, and now appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol II.
Finally, for great values in dining, shopping and more from our sponsors, especially Platinum Sponsor, Barbour – pick up a Tartan Week Passport!
Have a great Tartan Week!