KT Tunstall Announced as Grand Marshal of the NYC Tartan Day Parade on April 7th
Award-winning Scottish singer-songwriter KT Tunstall has been chosen to lead the annual NYC Tartan Day parade as Grand Marshal, the first woman to lead the Parade.
The NYC Tartan Day Parade will be held on April 7, 2018. The parade starts at 2:00 PM at 45th Street and marches up Sixth Avenue to 55th Street.
Last year, the event drew more than 3,500 participants and 30,000 spectators.
Photo Credit: Conor McDonnell
“I’m delighted to participate in this twenty-year tradition and very proud to be the first female solo Grand Marshal,” said Ms. Tunstall about her appointment. “It is especially meaningful to step into this role with the movement for gender equality picking up great speed all over the world. I’m always happy to celebrate my roots as a Scottish musician, and I’ve never felt more empowered in my own career than I do now, it’s an exciting time.”
KT Tunstall released her multi-platinum debut, Eye To The Telescope (2004). Since then and some 20 years since she started playing gigs as a teenager back home in St. Andrews, Scotland, she has been nominated for a Grammy®, won a BRIT and the Ivor Novello, and seen her songs used everywhere from opening credits of The Devil Wears Prada to Hillary Clinton’s 2008 campaign theme.
Ms. Tunstall returns later this year with a new full-length album. The second in a trilogy, this new album will be the follow up to her acclaimed 2016 album ‘KIN’. More details to be announced soon.
The Spring/Summer of 2018 sees her build up to the release of her 6th studio album with special guest slots on tour with the likes of Simple Minds, The Pretenders, and Gary Barlow. See KTTunstall.com for details.
Photo Credit : Tom Oxley
What is Tartan Day, the New York Tartan Day Parade, and Tartan Week?
- April 6th has been designated as National Tartan Day, a day for celebrating Scottish heritage and pride.
- The New York Tartan Day Parade is usually held the Saturday nearest Tartan Day. The 2018 20th Annual New York Tartan Day Parade will be held on April 7th.
- The Parade and leading events of the week are run by the National Tartan Day New York Committee, a not-for-profit 501(c)3 coalition, and its member societies: the St. Andrew’s Society of the State of New York, the New York Caledonian Club, The American-Scottish Foundation, Clan Campbell and Carnegie Hall.
- The days before and after the Parade are called “Tartan Week” and are filled with a full range of Scottish-themed events.
- Every year is different but if you’re coming for a long week, we ideally suggest Tuesday, April 3rd, through Monday, April 9th.
- Coming for a few days? We recommend arriving early Wednesday, April 4th, through late Sunday, April 8th.
- International travelers, especially those marching in the Parade, we HIGHLY recommend arriving no later than Thursday, April 5th!
Plans are really coming together for the 20th Anniversary of Tartan Day. I hope you are all as excited as we are to have KT Tunstall as our first Female Grand Marshal to lead the parade, We seriously couldn't be happier.
Please head to our registration page to register your group, band, clan, or dog. All are welcome. Registration will CLOSE as of March 20th.
Registration is easy, but if there are any issues, please email email@example.com and someone will get back to you
We want to see you all out on Sixth Avenue marching with pride for Tartan Day, for your love of Scotland and all things Scottish, and to celebrate the unique friendship of Scotland and the USA.
Don't forget, if you just want to grab a pint, You can find me at Blooms Tavern!