What is Tartan Day, the New York Tartan Day Parade, and Tartan Week?
- April 6th has been designated as National Tartan Day, a day for celebrating Scottish heritage and pride.
- The New York Tartan Day Parade is usually held the Saturday nearest Tartan Day. The 2017 18th Annual New York Tartan Day Parade will be held on April 8th.
- The Parade and leading events of the week are run by the National Tartan Day New York Committee, a not-for-profit 501(c)3 coalition, and its member societies: the St. Andrew’s Society of the State of New York, the New York Caledonian Club, The American-Scottish Foundation and Clan Campbell.
- The days before and after the Parade are called “Tartan Week” and are filled with a full range of Scottish-themed events.
- Every year is different but if you’re coming for a long week, we ideally suggest Friday, March 31st, through Monday, April 10th.
- Coming for a few days? We recommend arriving early Wednesday, April 5th, through late Sunday, April 9th.
- International travelers, especially those marching in the Parade, we HIGHLY recommend arriving no later than Thursday, April 6th!
Participating in the Tartan Day Parade
- The Parade is filled with bagpipe bands, other marching bands, Scottish organizations, societies, clans, families/friends, Scottish & West Highland White terriers and more!
- To march in the Parade you will need to register. Registration will open in mid-July.
Ways to Support the Parade
Organizing Tartan Week and the Parade is a massive effort by hundreds of volunteers. Your support enables us to continue! Every year we have an official shirt and pin. If you missed them, visit our online vendor, Scotland Rising.
This year, we launched the Tartan Week Passport, a very popular booklet of discounts and coupons. Look for upcoming info on 2017’s benefits.
We offer many opportunities for sponsors and advertising. Contact us to learn more.
For more information, and to keep up-to-date, we invite you to “like” us on Facebook and “follow” our Twitter pages.
Become a friend of the parade today!
Hello everyone, it is my pleasure to announce that registration for the 2017 NYC Tartan Day Parade is now OPEN. Please head to our website and fill out the form to register your group, band, clan, or dog. All are welcome.
Registration is simple but if there are any hiccups, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will get back to you.
We want to see you all out on Sixth Avenue marching with pride for Tartan Day, for your love of Scotland and all things Scottish, and to celebrate the unique friendship of Scotland and the USA.
Don’t forget, if you are in NYC between now and then, look us up. We would love to see you, maybe even join you for a wee dram or a pint.