Actor Tommy Flanagan to Be Grand Marshal of 19th Annual New York Tartan Day Parade on April 8th
"It is an honor to celebrate my culture," said Mr. Flanagan about his appointment to Grand Marshal. "I have great pride in my heritage. Although I now live in Malibu, I visit Scotland regularly with my family. I'll have my daughter flying her flag forever."
The parade steps off at 2:00 PM and marches up Sixth Avenue from 44th Street to 55th Street.
Bands, Pipers, Dancers and Clans from Scotland and throughout the United States and Canada are joining the Parade, along with dozens of Scottish and West Highland Terriers.
Read More About Tommy Flanagan
Barbour Dog Pack of Scotties & Westies Dog Coat Competition
Is your Scottie or Westie joining the Barbour Tartan Dog Pack? If the answer is yes, then they have a chance to win a wonderful Barbour Dog Coat. All entries must be received by March 24th.
To enter the competition, owners must first register their Scottish or West Highland White Terrier (and someone to walk them) in the New York Tartan Day Parade. Then, submit a photo of the terrier to email@example.com explaining in 100 words or less why their adorable Westie or dignified Scottie deserves to win. Originality, humor and style count!
Winners will be notified by email by March 30th with details of Dog Coat pick up on the day. To learn more, click here!
NYTD Passport, T Shirt and Pin – 3 in 1
NYTD is delighted to announce that the 2017 Official New York Tartan Day Parade Passport is available once again. This is a great way to help the parade and receive bonus offers.
You can purchase the Passport alone (extra copies for friends) OR with your Tartan Day Parade t-shirt and pin. Please use the order forms to the right to provide your contact information, t-shirt size, and passport option.
Option 1: Passport - $20
Option 2: Passport + T-Shirt + Pin - $45
To pick up your Parade Passport today, click here!
What is Tartan Day, the New York Tartan Day Parade, and Tartan Week?
- April 6th has been designated as National Tartan Day, a day for celebrating Scottish heritage and pride.
- The New York Tartan Day Parade is usually held the Saturday nearest Tartan Day. The 2017 18th Annual New York Tartan Day Parade will be held on April 8th.
- The Parade and leading events of the week are run by the National Tartan Day New York Committee, a not-for-profit 501(c)3 coalition, and its member societies: the St. Andrew’s Society of the State of New York, the New York Caledonian Club, The American-Scottish Foundation and Clan Campbell.
- The days before and after the Parade are called “Tartan Week” and are filled with a full range of Scottish-themed events.
- Every year is different but if you’re coming for a long week, we ideally suggest Friday, March 31st, through Monday, April 10th.
- Coming for a few days? We recommend arriving early Wednesday, April 5th, through late Sunday, April 9th.
- International travelers, especially those marching in the Parade, we HIGHLY recommend arriving no later than Thursday, April 6th!
Our Platinum Sponsor, Barbour, is back for another year, not only sponsoring the parade, but also the Barbour Scottie and Westie Dog Pack.
Tommy Flanagan, famed actor of the popular TV Series, Sons of Anarchy, and also appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol II, is going to be our Grand Marshal.
And our Post Parade Party is shaping up to be THE PARTY to go to. Held at the popular B.B Kings Blues Club in Times Square, Belhaven is back again, providing all the beer you could want. Glenlivet has signed on as an associate sponsor, providing Founder’s Reserve and a special signature cocktail developed especially for Tartan Week. We have lots of musical acts, including 2 bands from Scotland and 1 from Canada. And we have extended the party by 1 hour!!! More time to get your “party” on! Don’t miss out on this party, Get your tickets now!
I hope you are as excited about all this as I am.
See you in less than a month!
Oh, and don’t forget to register and march in the parade!
'Til then –